Life is relative when considered against its various components. This is no doubt the age of democracy, liberty, freedom. We express our freedom in the things we wear, how we say what we say, who we listen to, what we use, where we shop, where we meet and socialize…so are we really free?
My thoughts – are we not living in a world created by smart guys that crafted the present some decades back? They were the ones truly free; we are bound to live in their mind.
How can we claim freedom when we live within the mind of one smart man?
• We use windows OS (live in bill gates mind)
• meet on facebook (play in mark zukerberg’s mind)
• grow up on their philosophies through their movies and music (live by Hollywood’s culture)
• buy what they tell us to buy (hustle according to instructions of Nigeria’s financial big-boys)
• dance to whatever trash they spit (Nigeria’s musicians)
• spend too much getting an outdated degree (Education ministry)
• the gist goes on and on
There’s too much we’ve left undone, we’ve just allowed life happen to us so how dare we say we are free?
We are free?
• yet we go to school and read a course that has nothing to do with the course our lives are meant to navigate;
• we are in marriages we can’t stand;
• we are totally free as humans but some would just as well stay with a boyfriend that would beat them up, have them cook for him, get him sex and invariably get beaten again
• we get a job in a bank led by a God-fearing man yet she does plenty sex to make plenty money for the bank;
• others would decide that their own freedom is capitalism – they as most unlikely as it would seem, want to have their decisions made for them, they are afraid to take the fall for their life choices so they safely lay it far from themselves at the doorstep of friends, family, society or worse still the government.
Freedom seems regulated- ‘anyhow just keep prices from falling’ ‘keep small businesses small’, ‘pass on the risk of big business into the hands of the masses-tell them shares are the real deal’ etc
In the ideal situation, there’s nothing we wouldn’t do for freedom, yet we enroll for bondage as soon as we get freedom due to our action or our lack of action.
Choice separates hearers from doers, boys from men, 1st world from 3rd world, the elite from the masses, those who watch things happen and those who make it happen, the FREE from the BOUND!
So when we talk independence, ask yourself if truly you are free because whether you know it or not? Nigeria’s borders are secured by Nigerian soldiers, so leave the country alone and introspect. You owe yourself a mental prison break.